Changes in Certified Career Development Practitioner Certification
To acquire CCDP certification, applicants who meet all requirements for CCDP certification may apply directly for Certification. Those who do not meet all the criteria required for Certification may apply for the provisional status of CCDP Candidate. Upon completing all the requirements for certification, a CCDP Candidate may apply for full Certification.
The CCDP Candidacy Program is designed to establish communication, assistance, and continuity between CCDP Certification and applicants in the career development field who are seeking CCDP accreditation. “Candidate” status indicates that a CCDP candidate has voluntarily committed to ongoing professional development and continuous advancement in the career development field to achieve CCDP, the proof of professional excellence.
Benefits of Candidacy
The Candidate applicants will benefit from:
- Ongoing professional training and supports
- Access to BCCDA resources and job board
- Connect and communicate with industry professionals using the BCCDA platform
- Join BCCDA Mentorship
- Attend BCCDA Career Fair
- Obtain learning experiences via BCCDA volunteer opportunities
BCCDA values our members’ feedback and contributions. We are pleased to offer an improved certification application system. As of July 1, 2016, the following changes apply:
- CCDP applicants may apply using their official transcripts from an educational institution. It is not necessary that the documents required for certification and candidacy (such as official transcripts or professional references) be sealed.
- You may apply in any of six categories. Alternatively, you may apply in multiple categories, in which case the Review Committee will determine the most appropriate category for your file:
- Category 1. Related Master’s degree in Career/Employment Development and at least 1 year full-time or an equivalent amount of part-time, related, paid, qualifying work experience
- Category 2. Related Bachelor’s degree in Career/Employment Development and at least 2 years full-time or an equivalent amount of part-time, related, paid, qualifying work experience
- Category 3. Related Diploma/Associate Degree (minimum 400 hours) in Career/Employment Development and at least 3 years full-time or an equivalent amount of part-time, related, paid, qualifying work experience
- Category 4. Related Certificate (minimum 200 hours) in Career/Employment Development and at least 4 years full-time or an equivalent amount of part-time, related, paid, qualifying work experience
- Category 5. Unrelated degree and at least 4 years full-time or an equivalent amount of part-time, related, paid, qualifying work experience
- Category 6. Employment Pathway: Minimum of 8,000 hours of paid, qualifying work experience in the past 10 years.
- “Full-time” means at least 30 hours of paid work in one week. One year of full-time work is at least 1,560 hours.
- Candidates who apply using international paid work experience must have at least one year of paid work experience in Canada.
- If career/employment related duties account for only part of an applicant’s past jobs/roles, or applicant’s work experience was only part-time (less than 28 hours/week), then the applicant must demonstrate having accumulated the required experience over more years than indicated for the category in question.
- Applicants must have obtained their core education from an accredited or government-approved institution of higher education in Canada, or from another institution that is approved by BCCDA.
- Applicants with certificates, diplomas, or degrees from other countries must provide evidence that these certificates or degrees are from an accredited or government-approved institution. Otherwise, applicants must submit a credential-recognition document from a government or university-approved ICES or PLAR service.
- Applicant’s educational programs or degrees for Categories 1 through 4 (listed above) must be in Career/Employment Development, Vocational Rehabilitation, or the following related fields: Psychology, Sociology, Counselling, Education, Human Resources Management, Social Work, or Marketing.
- Applicants must be current, individual voting members of the BCCDA. Professional Membership is required for the Association to have continued jurisdiction over the member and over continued use of the CCDP designation. Successful applicants must maintain their BCCDA professional membership to maintain CCDP certification. Those who have been “grandfathered in” with a three-year certification period will have a Professional Membership credit of $50 for each remaining subscription year with BCCDA. To read more about how this compensation would apply to you, please refer to our BCCDA membership benefits.
BCCDA is pleased to announce that we have streamlined and simplified the process for maintaining your CCDP designation. Below is a list of changes effective as of July 1, 2016:
- Professional activities will now be tracked in hours rather than in credits. (If you watch a one-hour Webinar, it simply counts as 1 hour of Professional Activities.)
- BCCDA has shifted to requiring an annual CCDP Maintenance Log. The annual system, in addition to being more convenient, will ensure that our members are engaging in continuing education activities on a consistent basis.
- Your professional membership fee of $130 will cover the CCDP maintenance fee.
- Member profile with Professional Hours Tracking System: With the launch of our new website, your member profile now will automatically track all Professional activities obtained through BCCDA.
- In order to maintain your CCDP designation and title, practitioners must:
- Maintain continuous Professional Membership with BCCDA.
- Complete and document a minimum of 25 hours of professional activities per year.
- Ensure that each professional development activity claimed addresses at least one Core Competency and one area of Specialization from the Canadian Standards and Guidelines for Career Development Practitioners.
- Provide supporting Documents: Please retain verification documents for all continuing education activities claimed for one year after submission, as these may be required for randomized audits.
Changes in BCCDA Membership
Important Notes for BCCDA Members:
- Staring June 11, 2016 BCCDA will combine your CCDP expiry date with your BCCDA Individual Membership expiry date by taking the longer date as your new annual CCDP/Professional Membership Anniversary date. For example, your CCDP expiry date is on August 15, 2016 and your BCCDA individual membership expiry date is on December 31, 2016- Your new CCDP/Professional Membership expiry date will be on December 31, 2016)
- If your CCDP expiry year is greater than 2017, you will have a credit of $50 for each remaining subscription years in BCCDA new Professional Membership (As you have pre-paid a total of $150 for re-certification fee over a three-year period). Therefore, when you renew your Professional Membership and fill-in CCDP Maintenance Log, you will pay a discounted fee of $80/year. For example, if your CCDP expiry year is 2019, then you will have a total of $150 in credit for the three remaining years. From 2017-2019, you will pay the discounted fee of $80/year for your Professional Membership. Starting 2020, you will pay a normal fee of $130 for your Professional Membership. If this is the case for your membership, please contact BCCDA Registrar office for a promo code.
- For those who are not CCDP holders/candidates and have renewed your membership up to 2017, the new fee structures will apply on your next membership renewal term.
Important Notes To Agency Members:
- For those who have renewed their membership accounts up to 2017, we will ask you to select your types of agency membership again. After 2017, all agency membership renewal fees will be charged according to the new fee structures.
- CCDP holders/ candidates can enjoy a 5%-9% discounted rate on your individual Professional Membership if your agency is maintaining a current and valid agency membership in the BCCDA. Please contact BCCDA Registrar office for your promo code.